Brief description of the company
Maruba is an Argentinean shipping company with an international projection. It offers container transport services in rivers and seas, covering intercontinental areas.
Maruba was interested in improving the performance, availability and scalability of its key business application, MAIN.
MAIN was a system developed in ASP. The performance and availability were not always the expected ones, generating delays and problems for its users.
Moreover, scaling the system was not possible due to the technology and architecture in which it had been done in.
In its first phase, the challenge was to design a new architecture to solve the performance, availability and scalability problems, to develop part of the MAIN system’s functionality with the new technology and to ensure the coexistence of both systems. The second phase consisted of migrating the different MAIN modes and, finally, ensure the coexistence between the two systems, to complete the migration.
Hexacta began working on the design and development of the solution, which included:
- Defining a Java-based architecture that would solve the performance, availability and scalability problems that the MAIN system had.
- Migrating the technology of the Fees Administration, Fees Requests Administration and Commodities Administration modules.
- Ensuring the coexistence between the old MAIN system and the new system (MAIN Reloaded), while the full migration was not yet complete.
Defined architecture is based on J2EE
- Struts2 framework to model the View/Controller layer.
- POJOs as a business model.
- Spring for services localization.
- Hibernate for the persistence layer.
- SQLServer 2000 for the data layer.